Wicked Zombies

YOU ONLY LIVE ONCE...MAYBE TWICE!

There are a lot of really great zombie books out there, and then there's the ones that make you go huh? I mean like, you want to give them a chance because they are frikkin' zombie books, right? But then there's something so incredibly stupid about the story that you just stop right in the middle of your reading and close the book forever. Do you know any like that?

My favorites are Day By Day Armageddon by JL Bourne, Plague of the dead by ZA Recht, and The Infection by Craig DiLouie. There are more, but these three are very creatively written with realistic tactical scenarios and mind numbing horror.

Then there are a few that just make me want to throw the book across the room. One was The Rising, by Brian Keene. I mean really? Talking zombies? Zombies that drive cars? Zombie animals, including a zombie goldfish? WTF?!! These were not zombies but demonically possessed carcasses. I HATED this book. I kept thinking about how zombie mice and rats could overtake mankind worse than worrying about the other zombie people or animals. You couldn't hide then, they'd simply chew their way into your hiding spot and get you. It was beyond stupid. There really isn't much else to say about this book. It is simply one of, if not THE worst zombie book I've ever read, and I've read a lot. 

Down The Road, by Bowie Ibarra. Sorry, I know he's a member here but I'm entitled to my opinion, and my opinion is this book sucked in so many ways. Random sex scenes between the protagonist and another one of his coworkers, immediately after disposing of some zombies and AFTER puking, now that's what I call SEXAY! NOT. And then of course our hero really is a superhero, complete with superhuman strength and superhuman agility. He can single handedly fight off the gang members because he's so badass! No really, STOP! Everything about the way the main character is written feels fake and although there were a few good things I liked about the story, one of them being FEMA's role, I just feel that the protagonist was Mr. Ibarra's fantasy life coming through on paper.

As The World Dies, by Rhiannon Frater. I cannot for the life of me figure out how this ever got published by TOR. Her writing skill is amateur at best. She has a peculiar habit of using the same words over and over, not only in the same paragraph but even within the same sentence! Redundancy girl is redundant! And if that is not bad enough, she also likes to force feed you scenes by beating you upside the head over and over in order for you to get the point. I don't think she's ever heard the phrase "Show not tell". And then all of the characters "sigh" every other sentence, so often that you actually start to count how many times she does this. Another term that was very annoying was "Gawd". She overused this ad nauseum. But the worst part was how unrealistic the behavior of the two main characters were. They were more concerned with the most trivial "girlie" things, and it reminded me more of a young adult paranormal romance than an actual zombie horror book.

I might add a few more reviews at a later date, but I hope that others here can accept my opinions and not get angry over my views. I'm a diehard zombie fan and will always check out more as they come along.

Views: 265

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

My favorites are Kirkman's graphic novels The Walking Dead, The Rising by Brian Keen, and Zombie University by Trip EllingtonMy favorites are Kirkman's graphic novels The Walking Dead, The Rising by Brian Keen, and Zombie University by Trip Ellington

Read "City of the Dead" yet by Brian Keene?

I tried to read Brian Keene Zombie books but his zombies threw me off. 

I've just finished a couple of books that I really enjoyed...

City of the Dead by Brian Keene   And    LZR-1143: Infection by Bryan James...

I was told they were good books and a friend lent them to me. I finished City of the Dead and moved on to LZR-1143 Infection...Now with City of the Dead, I came in on the ass end of a bad dream. I'm hoping I can find someone who has Nook for PC app that will lend me the two books before it. The struggle of a father trying to get to his son during pretty much hell on earth had me from chapter one. So I'm really looking forward to seeing how and what other crap happened to the father as he is trying to reach his child...

As for LZR-1143 Infection, I actually picked it because of the cover and title. I had no clue what I was in for, but the trip was badass. I can't wait to get my hands on the rest of the series so far...You have to read it to believe the setting..

Much Love and Respect,

Jessie

The Walking by Raven Gregory

RSS

Wicked Books

Our Sponsors

View more gifts at Zazzle.

WICKED ZOMBIES members appreciation.

The WICKED member who has unyielding Dedication and Loyalty to the KOMRADZ:

Priest

The WICKED member who has Outstanding Constancy:

Jessie W. Garrett III

The WICKED member who Contributed the most Original Zombie Discussions and Replies:

saint.357

They will receive a WICKED ZOMBIES Goody Box with Wicked Treats.

Blog Posts

Going through a lot

Well, wanted to juststop in and check on things...Been a long time since I have stopped by...Well things are not going as well as I would have hoped, but, you know, that's life...

Some good things are my son, has turned 18 and has also graduated high school...I'm very proud of him...He has plans of going back to school after the getting a job and saving money for the school with the music production studies he wants to do...So I am very proud of…

Continue

Posted by Jessie W. Garrett III on June 26, 2023 at 1:00am

© 2024   Created by Komrad Venessa Wicked☭.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

Groups Forum Videos Photos Blogs Invite You Friends My Page Main Page